Friday, May 30, 2008

Where are the Road Warriors when you need them?

This weekend is chock full of activities including the requirements of donning garb which serves to remind me once again how I will not be ready for the fest season. I'll still show up on the first day with pins everywhere instead of a properly sewn and laced waistband.

If you have no plans on Saturday night, tune into PBS channel 2 where I will be manning the phones during a little show called Celtic Thunder which looks ridiculous to me. It will include a group of males ranging in age from 2 to 86 wearing ear phone/microphone combo's so they don't have to manage two complicated things at once like holding something and saying something. Every now and then they'll throw their fists into the air to remind us that the Irish are still oppressed. Of course, I could be totally wrong and it could turn out to be a good show.

Sunday will be my first parade in above-mentioned halfass garb. I'm just looking for some exercise and some food books. Hopefully I won't get sunburned.

Tonight, of course, is the much anticipated PunchOut! show where I think I've convinced a co-worker and another friend to go. When I start describing the show, people are interested but when I get to the part about how it starts at 11pm and they start to whine. Maybe I'm just working and hanging around too many old people. All of the trash talking between the two groups is getting me hot. Is that wrong? I grew up with professional wrestling so whenever two or more guys get all puffy-chested with each other my eyes get big and I start to drool.

Fight practice went very well yesterday, even in the rain. David got us through the whole scene so now all Missy and I have to do is do it over and over and over and over and over and over.......you get the idea. While trying to figure out how Roma was going to be made a fool of, we fell into the Robin Hood Daffy Duck cartoon:
"I'll trick him with my quarter staff! Actually, it's a buck and a quarter quarter staff but I'm not going to tell him that." When you're actually working with a stick, that line is funny. The tree swinging has got to be one of the best Chuck Jones moments next to the little angry Martian and his Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator, except that Fritz Frehling may have done that one. Oh well, it's all Bugs Bunny and it's sad that you can no longer watch it on Saturday mornings.

I want to go kayaking. Right now. It's too late to call in sick to work, I'm already here. I'll have to plan it for next weekend since I'll already be booked with walking, drooling, and watching puffy chests this weekend. I think I'll stash a trolling motor in my kayak. See, there's this particularly treacherous section of the St. Croix close to the Osceola bridge between two islands where the currents start pulling in a few different directions. It'd be nice to just pull out the motor for a hundred yards just to get through it. I bet I'd be the only one, therefore it would make me unique.

No comments: