Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Now don't tense up

Just when you think a promotion is a good thing. Hmph. The Workplace suddenly took a hard left in April and now the only way to get out of the hole someone got us into is to start firing, lowering the ax, chopping heads, kickin' 'em to the curb, cleaning house, handing out pink slips, giving you the summer off...permanently, you get the idea. I'm pretty sure I have a good chance at sticking around but I'm at the bottom of the seniority roster because seniority is based on your job title and I was just promoted in January. That'll teach me to try and get ahead.

I feel like a little kid being dragged into the doctors office for a shot but not being told why I'm there yet I can sense that something's amiss. My mom always had to pin my arms down because I was NOT a good shot-taker. They'd always have to get me in the middle of the thigh. Telling me not to tense up didn't do any good. Ever notice that when someone says not to tense up, you suddenly find it impossible not to tense up?

While we're not being totally informed on exactly what's going on (mostly likely because nothing's been officially decided yet) many of us have seen or heard of this scenario before and there are only a few different ways it could play out. One thing I feel pretty good about is that the big salaries usually get cut first. It wouldn't really do any good to cut 30 lower level staff positions because there would be no one to do the work. If people want their reimbursements and paychecks, they'll have to keep some of us around. It's more efficient to cut a few people at high salaries. Finally, being underpaid is paying off.

I guess I'm just going to have to pin my own arms down and get ready for that hypodermic in the thigh that will arrive sometime around the end of May or June. Hopefully there won't be much wailing.

No comments: