Thursday, October 30, 2008

She's Got Bette Davis Eyes...if Bette Davis had purple eyes

Another day, another nine hours of pouring through paper with large amounts of tiny numbers on them and staring at webpage after webpage filled with large amounts of tiny numbers. I started wearing glasses when I was about nine and have periodically broken them numerous times. They aren't really broken now, they just have their screws loose and I don't have a little screw driver to fix them. When I got my first pair, I wanted them to be big like Linda Carter's on Wonder Woman. My mom vetoed that so I got a smaller pair but still had the cool turtle-shell type, mottled-looking design on the rims. When I got into junior high, I wanted a pair where the temples came out from my ears but then curved down to attach at the bottom part of the frame. I got them and they soon became a pain in the ass. I barely ever wore them. I haven't worn the pair I have now for so long that I can't remember what they look like. I should look for them tonight after work. It'll be like opening a present. I should also fix them and put them on because I end up squinting by the end of the day.

I was never able to get contacts because I was told that my particular eyesight problem could not be accommodated by contacts. Whatever happened to that huge rage over colored contacts? It started when I was in high school. An Asian friend of mine wanted blue eyes so she got the blue contacts but when put over her dark brown eyes, they only made her look like she had cataracts, or like an aging dog. I'm not calling her a dog but I'm saying her eyes looked like a dog's eyes who is nearing the end of it's life span. I would have wanted purple eyes. Why? Because I saw them in a magazine and they looked really cool.

You know what I miss the most about not having cable? Scary movies around Halloween. There haven't really been any on network TV except for Fallen last weekend. I love that movie but I've seen it a million times so it's not really scary or creepy, I just consider it to be a good movie. I could watch it around christmas and enjoy it just as much. I also miss watching Bravo's Top 100 (or whatever number) Most Scary Movie Moments. Is that even on anymore? It was a great show because it was like one long trailer for a ton of scary movies you may never have heard about before.

Other than that, I don't really miss cable except for C-Span 2 because Comcast moved it off of the basic lineup and up to the package where the digital box is required. Remember when the History Channel used to be about historical stuff? All different kinds of historical stuff? And Bravo was an artsy-cutting edge type of channel that aired good independent movies, widescreen and without commercials? Heidi Klum is not a good independent movie.

Time to get back to squinting. Don't forget to wear your costume to work tomorrow. Someone asked if I was going to wear my "renaissance costume" on Halloween and I almost punched them. Great, now I've become one of those sensitive snobs who insists that you refer to my fest clothing as "garb".

No comments: