Monday, October 13, 2008

Holy Smokes

Back from a lovely weekend and now sitting in my office looking out at the rain and hoping that I can just stay in my office the whole day and download my Prince CDs into iTunes and maybe work on some reporting.

The lovely weekend started out with a bang, or I should say with sirens and smoke when my dead neighbor's abandoned house caught on fire around 3am Saturday morning. Here's the intriguing lowdown. The neighbor died in April after having a heart attack at work one Saturday. His family came over to his house and set off his alarm and not knowing the code, they had to sit and wait for the Po-Po to show up and explain how they were the dead homeowners family and can someone please turn the damn alarm off. After a few days of the usual funeral preparations and little kids throwing rocks into my backyard, the nephew was left behind to inhabit the house under the conditions that he be the only one to live there. I would guess his age to be around early to mid-twenties. That condition wasn't upheld and instead, many different friends would arrive late at night (technically early in the morning) and always on a week night when I had to get up at 5am the next day.

One day in mid-July, the matriarch of the family came back and was talking with me and let it slip that the nephew was told not to have other people over. I may have given something away when I said "Ohhh!" combined with the enlarged-eyed lookaway which meant that he hadn't been doing that but I didn't want to say it out loud. She then responded non verbally with the "So he's been screwing around, I'm going to kill him" look. The next day the house was vacated and remained so up until last week when on Sunday evening around 9pm, three people came over to start moving more things out. The next thing to happen was at 3am this last Saturday morning when a blaze started in the bedroom and actually did damage to the adjoining neighbor's house. My side didn't get anything except for smoke and broken windows from the firefighters.

Once all flamage was out, they stayed to board up the newly broken windows and tear down some melted siding. No one has been over since so I don't think the dead neighbor's family is even aware of it yet.

Saturday morning, I went over to get a lesson on the serger I was going to borrow from my co-worker/friend. Serger's are different from sewing machines in that they have four threads instead of one creating four times the possibility of miss-threading. There's differences in how you feed the material through which ended up being the cause of my miss-threadings. After throwing down and challenging the machine to a ladder match with no disqualifications I finally conquered it Saturday evening and then serged everything I could get my hands on. I am now in love with a machine...wouldn't be the first time. ANYhoo......

I attended an absolutely fabulous show at the IAGG last night which was a great way to end the weekend. Ho-Ly-Smokes!!! I'm talking hilarious. I don't know if people realize how lucky we are to have such great entertainment around for a frickin' dollar. Actually, I don't want a lot of people to know because then I may not get a seat and some bigwig might try to steal one of them away to one of the failing TV sketch comedy shows. I don't care about other people's progress towards their dreams, I only care about my own pleasure.

This is long enough so I'll leave you now.

No comments: