Monday, October 20, 2008

It's Nice Out (I Couldn't Think Of Another Title)

I'm thinking of moving to some location in Anoka County just so I can NOT vote for Michele Bachmann. I used to work in Ham Lake for the Anoka Conservation District, which is the local equivalent of the DNR. I did GIS mapping for the DNR's land cover inventory project and some other crap. Anoka county is beautiful but a couple of things confused me; Bethel and East Bethel. Did you know that East Bethel is bigger than Bethel? Bethel's location looks like a band-aid between St. Francis and East Bethel (tinyurl.com). How did East Bethel get to be so big? When Bethel was formed, why didn't they just take up more room? Something about that configuration bothers me.

I spent the weekend renovating my small red room. I call it my red room because I painted it red, with red oil paint. If you're going to use oil-based paint, use it on a small room. Oil-based paint is a tremendous pain in the ass to work with but you end up with really great results and really big forearms. Anyways, I put in new flooring and added two big mirrors so now I can use it as a dance studio. Dance studio sounds almost too big for the room since it's only 8.5 feet by 9 feet but it sounds nice so I'm sticking with it.

I've almost finished nesting meaning that I've gotten everything put away, covered up, sealed and emptied for the winter. I just need some more leaves. Luckily, my friends have lots of leaves and I didn't even have to rake them. I showed up Sunday morning and there was the pile. Now I can comfortably hole myself up in my abode and ride out this economic storm. Maybe when I step out next spring I'll be able to afford a new car. A new-used car. While Buick's are very nice, it's a pain to not have the ability to strap a ladder or kayak to my roof. I don't need much space in the back seat because I don't often drive other people around. Maybe an El Camino. Then I'd have the cargo space without the testosterone-driven pick-up. Plus El Camino's are really cool.

This week at work is shaping up to be very exciting. Tomorrow is the official announcement that my director is moving on to another college. It'll be interesting to see how many people in the room are actually surprised by this. See, rumors fly quite quickly in our college so I'm sure almost everyone already knows about this news piece. Hopefully the rest of us will learn what will happen with us too. We're due for another organizational structure. We'll either end up back in the departments (decentralized) or all together completely in the college (centralized). Up to this point, we've tried to combine decentralized with centralized. One problem with this is that there's no term for it. You can't call it decentralized because there is some centralization and any step away from centralization is decentralization but this isn't it because there's some centralization. See the problem? We don't know what to call ourselves. Others have some good names for us but I don't like any of them.

I have to go reorganize my iTunes playlists.

No comments: