Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Just Hear Those Sleigh Bells Jinglin'

I'm getting into the holiday spirit. I realize that it's not even Halloween yet but for some odd reason, I'm getting excited for the holidays. I can't buy anyone presents and I can't afford to cook anyone a big meal, but I'm still excited. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking forward to, but there's something.

Did you catch any of that fog last night? I drove through it around 10:00pm when coming home from dance class. I always take the parkway road that runs from 54th street past the V.A. Hospital down to the start of Minnehaha Ave. It would be really foggy in one area and then suddenly clear the next second. It reminded me of the times my friends and I would go down to "13 Graves" on the St. Paul side of the river road. I can't remember the cross streets now but it was supposedly near an old seminary. Does anyone remember this? The story was that if you walked along the path heading one way, you'd count 13 graves but when you headed back the other way, there were only 12. In addition, there was this old metal structure that was half broken which, when looked at against the river, looked really creepy like some big metal spider. Of course, it only worked when you went late at night with a group of friends with at least one person in the group convinced that a grave would mysteriously disappear and when you're a teenager, that combination will help to make you see what you want to see. So yes, I only counted 12 graves when I headed back the other way.

Not that I want everything to freeze up now but I'm looking forward to the day when I don't have to mow my lawn anymore this year. It looks like I'll have to do it at least once more this week. On the upside, I haven't seen any dumb bunnies around lately. One night I saw a cat chasing one down the alley so maybe a slew of tough rabbit-eating alley cats have moved in. Cats would be easier to hit with a sling shot because they aren't as scared of me and don't run away as fast as the dumb bunnies. Of course if I miss, the likelihood that they will get mad and jump on my face is a bit higher.

On to work.

No comments: