Thursday, October 23, 2008

No, You Can Not Walk With Me

It seems like only two years and some odd days ago when Senator Obama took the podium at St. Louis Park Junior High and spat out a collection of short sentences as if he were Freddie Mercury trying to get the crowd whipped up to vote for Amy Klobuchar. I said to my unimpressed self "Gee, he'll probably be president one day." And then it seems like only like a year and a month since Obama drove through town stopping long enough to draft a letter to U of M President Bruininks telling him how to behave although Obama had no idea what he was talking about. I said to my annoyed self "Gee, he'll make a good talking head for someone else's agendas."

It seems like before I was born since McCain was sitting in a hovel-type cell in Southeast Asia dreaming of being president one day (okay, probably dreaming of not being tortured) then giving it a valiant try in 2000 and losing, then giving it a half-hearted try in 2004 and losing, now using what ever means necessary in 2008. I get the feeling that he's sick of losing and has taken notes on how the others have won and will now employ the same tactics, anything to get himself into the White House. I'd say something about "my fill-in-the-blank self" but I can't seem to about someone who was a prisoner so I'll pick on his wife. Woman, have a sandwich.

Now there's only two weeks left and a part of me, the unimpressed, annoyed part of me, will miss this hubbub. That's a very small part of me though.

I like Dancing With The Stars. I didn't like it at first because it was in direct competition with America's Next Top Model so therefore didn't get watched. Ever since Penn Jillette was on, I've been oddly addicted. I miss a good portion of it because my dance lessons usually fall on one of the nights or interrupts the last portion. I think this current cast is highly entertaining. I've always liked Cloris Leachman but holy crap that woman is hilarious!!! I hope I'm like her when I grow up. She may be making a lot of jokes but you can also see on her face that she's taking it seriously when she's dancing and also waiting to hear whether she's getting the axe or not.

Speaking of the axe, I was sorry to see Toni Braxton go because she's married to a guy I went to junior high and high school with. Kerry Lewis is related to Terry Lewis from that Minneapolis power Flyte Time producer duo Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. I think Terry is his brother but I could be off by a branch. Anyhoo, Kerry is the coolest person that I have ever met in my life. He was cool in 7th grade and never stopped being cool. I can't remember in what class we had first met but I do remember one health class we took in high school. He missed a class and asked if he could copy my notes. The next day he came in and asked if I can actually read my own notes. Of course I could, they were mine. Well, I could read most of it. He said that he had really tried, but he just couldn't get through most of it. It was a really cool way of telling me that I have horrible handwriting. I caught a few glimpses of him in the audience every now and then (I'm talking about the show again) and he still looks cool.

If you get a chance, try to catch the Chicago 10 episode of Independent Lens on PBS. Since there were no actual photos of the court case, a director put together a film using animation and the court transcripts. It's a really good documentary combining the Democratic Convention protests/riots in 1968 and the resulting court case. Okay really, even in 1968 were there many people who could listen to Alan Ginsberg without going crazy?

Ooh! That reminds me...yesterday after work as I'm walking down Pillsbury drive, a girl stops me and says "Excuse me, hi, I'm Katie" I stare at her waiting to explain why I should care that she's Katie. She continues with "I was wondering if I could walk with you and talk a bit" and again I stare waiting for her to explain what she's going to talk about. She comes to the climax with "I'm Christian" and pauses to I think let me hoop and hollar about the fact that she's christian. When I don't, she keeps continuing with "I wanted to talk to you about..." but I cut her off with "NO WAY!" and even laugh a little as I say it because that was the funniest thing someone had said to me all day. She looked quite insulted. My work here is done.

No comments: