Monday, August 11, 2008

Wait, one more thing....

Boingity boingity boingity boingity....this is me jumping around. Now begins the week of not-standing/sitting-still. This week is like one long christmas eve before you open presents. It may not be exactly what I want when I open it, but I sure am hoping for the best.

This is going to be my tenth year out at fest and I have now learned that no matter how much you accomplish beforehand, there's ALWAYS one more thing you could get, one more chemise you could sew, one more idea you could add to the repertoire before the first cannon goes off. You're never completely done getting ready. At least I'm not. Maybe others can do it. I'd like to meet them and learn their secrets.

What a beautiful weekend, huh? I started out the beautiful Saturday with a classic blunder. I went to Home Depot to pick up a new screen door to replace the screen door that my friends dogs were nice enough to put a hole in. It's 35" wide and 72" tall. I pretty much knew it wouldn't fit in my car but I had to give it a shot anyway. After about two minutes of attempting different angles I gave up and tried the trunk. If I could just get it to stay in the trunk without slipping out, I could make it home because I didn't have far to go. I could even take side streets. After pulling out of the driveway and having the trunk hood slam down on it, I decided that was a horrible idea so I pulled over and tied it to my roof. I did a good job; it was secure yet not scratching any paint and it didn't take me long either. Satisfied with a job well done, I attempted to open my car door only to be thwarted. I had opened the car windows to tie the door down and in the process, had tied my doors shut. It was a classic "Aw shit!" moment. It's too bad that there wasn't someone else there with me to watch me as I began my tying. I could imagine being that person; standing there, seeing the first rope put through the inside of the car via the windows, seeing plain as day how the doors are also being tied shut and just waiting for that moment when the dummy reaches for the door handle and can't get in...only the dummy was me. I was not willing to undo all that damn tying so I just jumped in via Daisy Duke style and proceeded home.

When I got home, I put the new door on the old tracks and spent the next 20 minutes trying to get the fucking thing to work. I employed a flathead screw driver, my foot, yelling, and my patented glare. Delta Force Cat even ran away in fear. I finally gave up and went inside to sew three more chemises and a pair of bloomers.

Off to work now. Have a lovely day.

No comments: