Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hurry, They're on Their Way

My blinkers are out. I'm referring to my turn signals on my automobile. It happened last Friday night. I haven't had a chance to take it in yet (the whole car not just the blinkers) because it also needs an oil change. I've gotten used to sticking my arm out the window to signal but driving on the freeway at night makes that option pretty useless when you're trying to change to the right lane. It's also a drag on rain days like today. After you get over the first shock of rain hitting you in the face, it's not so bad.

I've also left my wallet at home today. I put it in a different bag last night and forgot to fetch it this morning. Catchy word, 'fetch'. It's not used very often anymore when not also talking about dogs, or to dogs. Now I'll have to inch my way home hoping that no one pulls me over for nonfunctional turn signals.

The campus is buzzing with the inevitable arrival of students next week. There are welcome week activities in most buildings and nice lawn areas, roads are blocked off so parents can park and boot their kids out of the car with their belongings, and faculty can be seen to be running frantically down the hallway exclaiming about how they're not prepared yet and how did the end of August get here so fast. We had our college assembly yesterday morning. My poor college. Literally. We're millions of dollars in the hole due to a multitude of reasons but there are also two different plans to get us out of the trench by 2010 and have all debts paid back by 2012. Don't let the word 'millions' alarm you. When you're dealing with a very large institution with smaller institutions within it, this is not out of the ordinary. Along with the "budget crisis", we've lost our star dean which has created a slew of political groups to which you could belong. Some even have initiation rites held at the full moon. At yesterday's assembly, the associate deans attempted to quell the rumors and bring everyone back to being a cohesive unit again. They did a good job at explaining the true financial state and what will have to happen with spending. There was no sugar coating or out-right lying so I was pleased about that. The Provost (2nd in command after the University President) stopped in to say that he would be naming an interim dean who would hold that position for two years while the college becomes "structurally sound" again. He listed off some attributes that the interim dean would need to possess and one of them was "emotional intelligence". I found that term to be interesting. If everyone had emotional intelligence would there be no more hissy fits? Just wondering.

The Provost also made mention of an upcoming University-wide capital campaign to begin fall of '09. His statement was that we "don't want to fall behind on philanthropic giving". So, you philanthropers out there, don't start slacking now. We can't get behind on voluntary donations otherwise we'll have to get tough with you. I've got $0.15 in my desk drawer that I'm giving. I'm doing my part.

A faculty member asked an interesting question yesterday. He wanted to know what the associate deans were going to do about morale. He stated that he found it difficult to come to work some days with a smile. This coming from a man who makes it a habit to circumvent the policies to get what he wants making it difficult for others around him to come to work with a smile. But to address his question, really what can others do to improve your own morale? There are a few things I guess like getting a pat on the back every now and then or maybe some days off with pay or being treated to lunch but other than that, it's pretty much up to each individual to decide what kind of attitude they're going to take on a particular day. The associate deans are not going to change everyone's disposition all on their own. We all have to decide that we'll smile at each other once in awhile. Another faculty member grabbed the microphone on her way out and said "In answer to the morale question, we have incoming freshmen. That's your answer". Most people seemed to agree with this answer.

It is exciting to see new people coming in excited about their future and what they're going to learn and if you really think it's possible for them to become a lawyer or a scientist or a teacher. They kind of look at you as if to say "Do you really think I could do that?". Honey, anything's possible. I don't call them honey though because I'd get sued.

No comments: