Monday, July 14, 2008

We Gotta Get Out of This Place

I was determined to swim this weekend. I was determined not to let the city stop me from doing that but...Saturday...the city won. Did anyone try to drive anywhere Saturday? How many actually made it? Thanks to the triathlon, the 35W closure, and countless other construction projects on each and every roadway I chose to take, I wasted two hours going nowhere. I kid you not, I tried to get from S. Mpls. to Calhoun Square (wasn't a problem) to Richfield (was a MAJOR problem) then back to S. Mpls. via the River Road past the V.A. Hospital (stupid mistake) then back to Hiawatha Ave. to get to 94 West where I almost made it. I had my towel and suntan lotion with me, I could see the border, I could see it, but then as I accelerated past a woman discovering her car for the first time while attempting to drive it on the entrance ramp, my transmission did something very bad and I suddenly slipped out of gear. Luckily, I coasted to the Vandelia exit before I realized that I could switch into D3 and make it home okay. I was not meant to swim on Saturday.

I went home and pouted and also prepared a damn fine meal that some friends came over and ate. We discovered that strawberry marshmallows in a s'more are the bomb. I can't begin to tell you how good this was. I could say something like "it's the best thing I've ever put in my mouth" but it's Monday morning and I'm not willing to be silly and immature yet. Give me a few hours.

On Sunday, I learned the secret to getting good sleep again and how to introduce happiness back into your life...doing something that's fun. That's the big secret. I'm going to write a book. I'll make millions. I grabbed my bike, albeit after admitting defeat at the hands of the rollerblades when I became scared at not knowing how to stop, and headed down to Minnehaha Falls Park and on to Fort Snelling Park. My friends and I used to spend every summer day down there when we were sophomores in high school. It's a great beach and a great lake to swim in. Yes folks, I finally got to swim. Biking back was a bit of a chore since the wind was against me the entire way, but it kept the bugs off. Isn't that what you should always say about a windy day in the summer? At least it's keeping the bugs off?

I didn't make my 6:00am call to the improv marathon at BNW, I was all snuggly in my bed. Not a good excuse but I'm going with it anyways because I'm a big believer in the truth. I didn't get the latest info before I left work on Friday otherwise I would have headed down sooner Sunday evening to catch more acts. I thought the $5 bought you a two-hour block instead of the 3 1/2 hour block it actually bought you, so I just showed up at my usual 7:45 time. Nifty new stage. Fun watching performers discover nifty new stage.

I'm off to start my split schedule again for another week. I'm supposed to be working out of two locations this week and if I play my cards right, I could get each location to believe that I'm heading over to the other location and just cut out altogether. I bet I could concentrate a whole lot better if I were on the beach. I think it's a theory worth checking out.

No comments: