Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Return to the mundane

I'm back at work now and couldn't be happier. Well, I could be happier if my property values soared yet taxes went down and insurance was obsolete, but I'll take what I can get.

I met with some people at the nursing home today to get dad on track to stay there permanently and to get the finances in order. I'm starting my graduate thesis on Medicaid this afternoon so that I'm ready for the oral exams in six months when hopefully the assistance will kick in. I plan on becoming so well versed in this madness called public medical assistance that I could be given only a few random facts on a complete stranger and be able to tell him/her what forms to fill out, who to send them to and what the result will be. I'm going to become the Carnac the Magnificent of Medicaid.

I managed to work on my lawn yesterday afternoon as a way to relax. I pulled two garbage bags' worth of broad leaf plantain. If you don't know what that is, you're very lucky. I then mowed and put down more grass seed. The trick now will be to keep it watered well enough so that the seed actually germinates.

I also watched American Splendor last night. If you've ever wondered whether your life story would be interesting enough for a movie, it just might be. There isn't anything particularly earth-shattering that happens in Harvey Pekar's life but I still found the movie to be very good because of the ability to relate to it. I know people similar to those in the movie and can relate to the work environment. While my mind didn't expand and I didn't exercise my analytical capabilities to figure out who dunnit, I had an enjoyable time watching it. Does that sound good? I mean it to sound good.

I tried watching The Good Shepard the other night but fell asleep after about an hour. It's not boring or bad, I was just very tired. I'm going to give it another try tonight. I'm finding it to be a bit slow-moving. I know who the woman on the tape is, I just wish they would get to it already. If there's a twist and you know what it is, hush up and don't ruin it for me.

I've wasted enough time on this silly obsession of mine, so time to get back to work and prioritize my work load to accomplish something by the end of the week. Get out and enjoy the weather...it'll be good for you.

No comments: