Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday

So it’s now the next night and the knot in my stomach has been unraveled…pretty much. Mom was moved out of ICU this morning and was much more clear and alert but couldn’t remember what had happened yesterday. She wasn’t sure if she remembered seeing me or if she had dreamed it and in reality, it was probably a combination of the two.

I got dad to the clinic for his physical with help from his brother, good ‘ole Uncle Jerry who kicked his ass last time. The doctor was the one who first let the “nursing home” phrase be uttered aloud to which dad’s facial expression changed and he became angry. He did not voice it though. I was certain once he knew where he was going he would become vocal about the whole thing but he kept it inside, letting it slowly simmer where I hope it is now keeping him from getting any sleep or peace of mind. We were able to transport him directly from the clinic to the home and made it through admissions within 15 minutes after which I left to go back and get his crap, returned with it, unpacked it, turned around and left the room. That was that. He is trying to call mom at the hospital. I didn’t give him the number and I don’t think the nursing home knows where she is so there is another thing for him to sit and simmer over. I gave mom his number and she has the option of calling him if she wants to. I say let him simmer longer, I don’t think he’s done yet.

At one point this evening, I managed to be at the wrong place at the wrong time which was my parents’ home to pick up his medications and let the dog out. When their phone rang, I saw that it was the nursing home calling so I thought I better answer in the event that he fell and finally hit his head. That wasn’t the case. It was him calling to tell me to bring his medications (which I already knew and was in the process of doing) and to tell mom to call him. I said “yeah sure” and hung up but the experience strangely left me edgy. I was very irritated at just hearing his voice. Isn’t it both odd and upsetting that people can still have that kind of control over you even though you’re a full-fledged adult? Ah life. Anywho, I’ve gotten over that hump so know it’s on into the future.

Monday, I’ll be going through Medicaid documents to get that ball rolling and also looking into alternate forms of income from our 42 acres in Wisconsin. Finances, finally, a subject I feel confident about.

On another note, I’ve discovered that I may be off the grid. Wednesday night as the cops and my parents’ neighbor were trying to contact me, the cops were unable to locate an address or photo in their magical little database thingy. When the cops started asking for my description (perhaps an APB would get me out of bed to turn my phone on) and out of desperation, the neighbor blurted out “she has bushy hair!” and later was very apologetic for calling it bushy. Hey, you gotta call it like you see it. That made me giggle. The electric company knows everything about me but the government wouldn’t be able to identify me if my body washed up on the shores of the Mississippi. I better make sure I’m a strong swimmer.

People who choose to make any medical-type environment their career are really amazing people. They have my undying gratitude. I’m looking forward to sleeping tonight and seeing what’s going to happen tomorrow.

No comments: