Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Where'd The Time Go?

It's November 4th...do you know what that means? It's already four days into NaNoWriMo and I haven't even started yet!!! How did this happen??!! I remember sitting last week just waiting for it to be November so I could start and now I've let four days go by with no activity! This means I have 40,000 words to catch up on today or if I wait for the weekend, that'll be 80,000. I'm very disappointed in myself. Oh, and I get to vote today.



I can't recall any election in the past that I've been so glad to see finally get here. Not because it's supposedly "earth-shattering" because all of them are, but because the ads will finally end. Maybe the news will start reporting on things like the Joint Economic Committee hearings or the crop estimates or the traffic, fuck, anything! Anything! Please, report on anything else! In spite of this little rant, I still do get excited about voting. I'm damn glad I get to do it.



Let's move on to Facebook. Here's an interesting thing that I find is bothering me. People I graduated from high school with are contacting me now. As you may know, when you want to look at someone's profile you usually need to make a request that they add you as a friend. So you add the person as a friend which only means that you give them permission to view your page. Does Facebook have to use the term "friend" for this? Let's make it a little more accurate and call them "authorized personnel" or something a little more cold and unfeeling. That way, when you really want to deny their request because they didn't keep in touch with you starting the hour after the graduation commencement and they barely made you feel like a friend during the high school experience, it won't seem like a personal attack; or if they rebuked your advances or you're still waiting for an answer to the "will you go to the dance with me" question, you won't seem like someone who's harboring past resentment. If I just removed the part of my page where I list my high school and graduation year, I wouldn't have to contemplate things like this.

I have two interviews this week. They came up rather quickly. I've been half-heartedly applying to other positions around the U thinking that a change may be good but I haven't heard back from any of them...until now and then I get two in one week. Our own little micro-market is very tight. People are jumping ship everywhere mostly because of the new financial system and people's reactions to it. How you deal with stress tends to show your real colors. People suddenly discover that they don't want to work with the people they're working with and that any other place would be better than where they currently are. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about my current work situation but I better make a decision about it quickly. I hate wasting people's time. A half-hearted interview is a waste of time.

Speaking of work....

No comments: