Thursday, November 20, 2008

Where Did All of These Plebs Come From?

If you're just headed out, I feel that I should warn you. It's a bit windy. My eyes watered the entire way to work, which is about 45 minutes. That's a long time for your eyes to water. My cheeks are nice and rosy though.

I'm a big fan of any documentary having to do with the British Monarchy. I couldn't stand Princess Di though. Anyway, PBS is airing The Royal Family At Work which is a slightly remixed version of the Queen Elizabeth documentary they aired last year but that's okay with me. They're concentrating more on the Queen's daily activities and social engagements. One thing I noticed about her is that when she's asking someone a question, which most people would consider inane chit chat, she will look straight at the person very intently, right in the eyes, and really listen to the answer. She's not looking over the head of the person, or looking around the room, she really seems interested in the answer. I think it'd be great to have a conversation with her. I think I'd probably start by asking her if Winston Churchill ever hit on her.

I hope you don't run out of food this weekend because this is it, the big weekend, the weekend to never step foot in a grocery store...the weekend before Thanksgiving. Most of the food items served for this dinner really can't be bought too far ahead of time. Potatoes, veggies, all that stuff really needs to be bought as close to the event as possible. Just to prove how wacked I am, I'm actually looking forward to going to a grocery store on Saturday. No wait, it should be Sunday because that's when the new fliers will be out with all the specials. It's better to go to the higher end stores like Lunds or Byerlys because that's where all the rude people are. It's fun to watch people who are used to waltzing in and picking through the fruit pile for the perfect item with no one invading their space have to start throwing elbows to get to a package of bacon. Yes, there are times that I revel in others' displeasure (is that apostrophe in the right place?).

There's going to be a hafla in Hopkins on Dec. 6th of which I will be dancing in with my class and also doing my quaint little drum solo. I'm nervous again now. I've been practicing it lately and I don't like it anymore. Well, I like the beginning but I don't like the last half. I have to work on my costume again because the coin top I got for the first show doesn't work well with what I do. When I move my arms in front of me, I hit the coins and they stay up which looks hilarious. I'm going to make some goddamn arm bands this time too.

I missed last Monday's class because I wasn't feeling well so Leslie said I could come to tonight's class as a make-up. She was thinking of moving me up to this class anyway. I'm a bit apprehensive about that because I like being an intermediate; you're not a beginner but you're also not held to perfection. I like keeping people's expectations low. Now I may have to forgo that, work harder and actually get better. Hopefully I'll get better. What if I don't? Aaaack! I don't need peer pressure, I provide my own.

I have to go now to write out my grocery list.

No comments: