Monday, September 22, 2008

To Think or Not To Think

I'm a bit of a control freak. I like to have a routine, a schedule. If my planned schedule is disrupted, I get cranky but then I also don't like to do the same thing for too long. All of this makes me a slight pain in the ass.

I wanted to leave by 6:00am Saturday morning because I had a lot of things to lug onto the grounds and I wanted time to stretch out and eat and I also wanted my usual parking spot. I left at the scheduled time but when I got to Hwy 169 I realized that I had forgotten a comp ticket for someone so I had to go home to get it. This meant at least a 20 minute shift in schedule. This vexed me greatly. It turned out that the timing was perfect because by the time I got everything on site and went out to drop off the ticket, the person who was to receive the ticket was standing in line. All of my vexation was for nothing.

Another scheduled stop that morning was to ask D'Lis about the whole stage-fright thing. I'm not kidding, it was scheduled (OCD, party of one). She told me I was overthinking things. Telling a control freak that they're over thinking things only makes them think things over more. Us control freaks have to learn the hard way about when to stop thinking. I wish there was an applause sign around all the time that would flash "Think" instead of "Applause" so that I would know when I could take a break.

The rest of the day was changed around due to circumstances beyond my control which is the best thing for me because then I was forced to do other things. I walked around all of the lanes I missed out on the previous weekend and got a chance to watch some great ones like Allen A'Dale and Gary Parker. I was still in overthinking-control-freak mode so I contemplated why they would still do this after so many years. Then I was thinking about how Twig had once said to just be what you are at the moment; if you're mad, then let your character be mad. Then I was thinking about what exactly Butch was trying to say to me at opening gate but I couldn't quite get with the squeaker and all (something like whittikey, whippy, whitney, finally on the way home in the car it hit me....WHISKEY! HE WAS SAYING WHISKEY!). Then I was thinking about who to switch up in the wine show because one act had to cancel. Then I was thinking that if I stay in one spot, I can interact with more people as they walk by (Duh!). Then I was finally tired of thinking and luckily it was the end of the day.

Sunday, the "Think" sign was turned off and I just did...whatever. Very nice, much more relaxed, why didn't I think of that sooner?

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Vexation has it's benefits!

Peggy Larson said...

Could you please list them?

Ryan said...

Well...uh, it makes you think about your health.