Monday, June 23, 2008

Fire! Fire! Fire!

I am officially sick of people, when they find out that I perform at the Renaissance, ask if I a) know a psychic and b) want to be in a threesome. What the hell is wrong with you people?

I lit the inaugural fire last night and broke my fire pit in. It works wonderfully. I will always marvel at how cool it is to have a campfire-type fire in the middle of the city. I said campfire-type to distinguish it from the common housefire-type found so often in the city.

I missed IAGG last night which I was going back and forth on for awhile because of the previously-mentioned fire but also because I was forced to put in a tape yesterday because there is absolutely NOTHING on TV on Sunday's anymore. The tape of choice was my collection of Cirque du Soleil shows. That always sparks my imagination and last night was no exception. I kind of got "in the zone" and didn't want to stop to go somewhere else. Besides, I'm going to be at the Brave New Workshop all weekend next weekend for the much anticipated Twin Cities Improv Festival and I didn't want to wear out my welcome. I think some people there are already sick of seeing me...sorry, it's only going to get worse. I would like all meals and phone calls forwarded to the Brave New Workshop...thank you.

In just a short while, I will be off to a different office location in an attempt to help cover for a Dept. Admin that's out of commission. This woman had so much information in her brain that it is taking at least four people to cover for her. This is exactly why I believe in not only learning, but especially teaching as much as you know to others. Don't hog all the information, it'll only drive you crazy after which your FMLA leave will drive everyone else crazy. The main reason I'm dreading this is because of the current financial team model we've been operating under for the last two years. Technically, the financial team is considered to be part of the Dean's Office and therefore not belonging to any particular department. Instead, we work for, or service (a term I can't say without giggling) the departments. The problem with this model is that in order to give good service (hee hee) you have to know about the entire department because everything is interrelated. What this has led to is the development of a split personality. I'm not sure where or to whom I should be reporting to. If people like what I say, then they consider me to be part of them. If the don't like what I say, then I'm on the other team and therefore, against them. I'm now creating my own team. It's team "leave me the fuck alone so I can get this work done for you". I think it has a nice ring to it but it's going to be difficult to fit on a T-shirt.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I think if you wander around chanting "Fire! Fire! Fire!" like Bevis and Butthead, people will leave you alone.

And people are very funny about the Fest stuff. Last year, a woman in my neighborhood found out I was a bellydancer and asked, "Oh, is that like a stripper?" Oy vey.