Thursday, June 5, 2008

Beaches and Hockey...Perfect Match

It was the U's Staff Day yesterday which includes a free lunch + gift + chance to enter a raffle. I say "chance to enter a raffle" because who ever wins those things??

Get a load of this; they put five tables of advertising crap (Wells Fargo, insurance, etc.) across from the free gift table next to the free food arena. They then expected 3500 employees who all get their lunch times from 12 - 1pm to enter and leave this area in an orderly fashion. Well, they were WAAAAAAAAY off.

I left with two co-workers but quickly lost them after getting sucked into the free gift vortex. I was miraculously spit out next to the eating arena armed with a new umbrella complete with shoulder holster. I opted for the hamburger but then realized I should have chosen the veggie burger because it had more mass. If free food is given out, go for the item with the most mass.

Losing the co-workers wasn't such a bad deal because one of them was Shannon, the Document Prep Dictator with OCD and passive/aggressive tendencies. One cannot even walk by Shannon without being interrogated. To say she's a busy-body is being too kind. She has to know what you're doing and why and will then proceed to explain how you're doing it wrong and why you should do it her way. Since I know how to stand in a line all by myself, I'm glad she wasn't anywhere near me to tell me how I should be nudging closer in a different manner.

I watched The Bounty last night; mainly to view beaches, boats and water but then there was also Mel Gibson pre-crazy and Anthony Hopkins whose controlled rage squeaking out every now and then is always a joy to watch.

That's an interesting study in group cohesion theory. One wonders how it would have ended if Christian didn't take the ship. If the crew was getting to a breaking point anyway, was it inevitable that someone was going to do it? What if they all got together and decided that they'll just kick Bligh's ass when they get back to shore? I also think it's interesting how King Tynah understood perfectly what had happened upon Christian's return and wanted no part of it. I don't blame him, I hate getting in the middle of my friends fights. I'm going to have to read the book. I wish they would have made me read it in high school instead of Tom Sawyer. Mark Twain may have had some good works but Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn aren't among them. I just can't stand trying to read the colloquialisms. He may have captured a segment of the population to a tee but that's not always a good thing.

I caught the last ten minutes of the Stanley Cup finals. HOLY SMOKES was that a classic, unbelievable ending! When the goalie gets pulled, everyone moves to the edges of their seats or disregards seating all together and choosing to stand instead. That's what Pittsburgh did in the last 2 minutes or so. I can't remember the exact time they pulled him but I know it was less than four minutes. AND they had a power play!!! AAAAAAAAGH!!!! They were down by 2 and it only took them about 30 seconds to score a goal. I wanted Detroit to win, not because I like them but because I think a penguin is a ridiculous mascot for a hockey team. So the pressure is now on and sticks are flying through the air (literally, a redwing defense lost his stick) and Hossa slams the puck straight into Osgood....it hits his arm....and starts to fall like a bad inspirational sport movie...AND GETS WITHIN 3 INCHES OF CROSSING THE LINE AS THE CLOCK HITS ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just can't get any closer than that. Well, I guess you could get two inches closer. I better rest, only 4 more months until the Gopher's season starts.


2 comments:

Penn said...

For the movie 'Rollerball' they used actual Hockey announcers because other sports guys were too slow during filming.

Peggy Larson said...

And also because hockey rules. Other sports are retarded. That's right, I said it.