Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas part II - thank god it's over

Well that lasted about two days too long. I think next year I'll stay in town for one day and then take off for parts unknown. One day is perfect; you have some prep work if you're hosting the food-eating, otherwise you just make sure to shower (wear deodorant please!!) grab a present and head out the door. You then get to chat and laugh, maybe play a few games, go home happy and sleep well. That's it. After that, get out of bed and do something and STOP EATING ALL OF THAT CRAP. It's only going to put you in a bad mood only you won't know why you're in a bad mood. Maybe a miracle will happen with the economy this year so that I'll be able to stop into the aunt and uncle's house next year, have above mentioned fun and then hop a plane to Hawaii the next day.

Christmas eve was great, as I've already detailed, but christmas day, um, it was okay. I went to see the other side of the family where auntie brought her two out-of-control mutts with and the cousin was trying to catch up to his new 21-year-old status of being able to legally drink. Uncle bonehead was well into the bag when I got there at 3:30pm and like most drunks, his volume increased with each syllable. By 5:00pm, the combination of Tibetan terriers jumping up on me and voices never stopping were enough to convince me to pack it in and head home. Mom was going to head to the other brother's house so that way, we covered all of the relatives.

Mom had left her gloves at my house on Wednesday so I called her on Friday to let her know I'd drop them by. I didn't get a call back and when I drove past the house (all seven times from Friday morning until Sunday morning) it looked like someone was home but the car hadn't ever moved and I didn't see a lot of footprints. This is where my irrational thought process kicked in. See, I wasn't willing to go into the house because I'm not going to do that anymore while dad still occupies it which mom is aware of but that doesn't stop her from trying to trick me into entering the house and when I don't, giving me the terribly-hurt look which makes me feel guilty and very angry. My plan was to put the gloves in the mail box when she wasn't home but she was never not home which isn't like her. That's where I started to get really worried that maybe she did try to drink all of the wine I gave her for christmas and fell down the stairs. I couldn't relax the rest of the weekend until last night when I called again and this time she finally answered. She had gotten the flu on Thursday and stayed home the whole weekend. She kept looking in the mail box for the gloves and wondering why I hadn't dropped them off yet. I just let her think I'm irresponsible. It's easier that way.

So now I'm back at work and my goodness, I have to work a whole three days this week! How am I going to get through it? I'm used to two days now. I'm not going to tell anyone that I'm working on Wednesday so hopefully I'll be able to get all the filing and crap done that I was hoping to get done last week. Shhh, don't tell.

This is also the universal "look back at the year" week. I'll work on that tomorrow. In the meantime, start putting your resolution lists together so we can have something to laugh at.

No comments: