Monday, December 8, 2008

The Best Weekend Ever

So this weekend started as most do on Friday afternoon not because I left work early or anything unless you count mentally leaving in which case most of us take the whole frickin' day off but when my physical body caught up with my mental body(?) at home on Friday evening I was so prepared for Saturday that there wasn't much left to do and in case you don't know what I'm referring to I'm talking about the Sisters of the Sahara hafla that happened Saturday night which I was lucky enough to be a part of by dancing three what? yes three dances and I don't know how I managed to get myself into that either it must have been my cat-like stealth but I was hoping that for the Turkish dance I would be in the back row but due to the fact that the class is full of tall goddess-like creatures and I'm on the shorter side of stockiness I was in the front row and on the right side but only right if you're in the audience looking at us but since I'm not in the audience looking at me I was on my left side which on that particular stage meant that I was to be the last person off of the stage which provided a nice comedic moment because I had two group dances in a row which I loved because there was no time to get nervous again before the second one but since I was the last one off after the first one I turned around right away and I swear to god there was someone standing in the wings who said OKAY GO BACK OUT THERE in a loud whisper or maybe it was my inner dialogue but I listened to who or whatever the voice was and turned right around and went back out to my spot almost in the same spot as for the first dance but what was different this time is I turned around and there was no one out there with me because my second group was off looking for me back stage not realizing that I was already out there so there I stood by myself with my hands at my hips instead of up in the air like the sound guy in the booth who was frantically trying to figure out why there was just one person standing there instead of a group which he thought there would be but since I had assumed the position he started the music so I tried to nicely shake my head to politely ask could he please turn the music off because my cohorts will be along shortly which he must have understood and maybe he's part vulcan but anyway the music ceased just in time for everyone in the audience to be able to clearly hear YOUR ON!! GET OUT THERE!! WHERE IS SHE?? SHE'S ALREADY OUT THERE! OH! GO!GO!GO! so they went and waved to me as they came out and I don't think we could have choreographed a better laugh-getter than that but I'm glad they laughed at that and not at my very first dance which was my drum solo that I had choreographed the hell out of and included a veil which I tussled with during the beginning of the dance when the chiffon veil didn't want to stay on my chiffon-covered arm like it did when I practiced at home and maybe veils get stage-fright or something but I was determined to get that fucking veil EXACTLY WHERE I WANTED IT TO GO which included over my head and DAMMIT GET OUT OF MY HAIR AND FLING THROUGH THE AIR LIKE WE PRACTICED but by the time I had started to win the battle the veil portion of the dance was over so I flung it on the ground but got in an extra kick when I was turning just to show it who's boss and did you know that dancers have been known to take a shot before they go out only not directly before they go out it's more like when they're in the dressing room and the nerves start to kick in to the point where your lips quiver when you're not even smiling or maybe it was the party atmosphere that made her do it and I mean the one who was standing with her back to me when I opened the dressing room door and she turned dressed in her cute outfit with a cute flower in her cute hair batting her cute eyelashes at me and smiling while holding the biggest bottle of Jagermiester I've ever seen which had already been imbibed upon and some people might call that picture a dichotomy but I call it damn funny which only added to the holiday spirit I was suddenly engulfed in with my mom and friends in the audience and people I knew all around back stage with all of us doing fun stuff which continued after the event when I hopped in my car to drive out to the boon docks to join more friends for mirth and merriment but not until I first stopped at the wrong house which also had a lot of cars in the parking lot in my defense which would make anyone think that there was a party going on in there and maybe there was but you'd have to ask Laszlo because he actually walked into the house which still makes me giggle internally when I think about it because I only stood outside while the little girl inside looked very disapprovingly at me while shaking her head when I asked if this was so-and-so's house but alas I finally found the correct driveway which was only one driveway away where I stayed and listened to people talk and break stemwear but I finally had to go home when my legs hurt when I stood and when I sat down so I took my hurted legs home and tucked them into bed where they wanted to stay well into the next morning but my eyeballs didn't because they popped awake at 8am and it's a good thing the eyelids are there to hold them in which told me that part of me was still pretty giddy from the day before where I think my own little holiday had occurred during this season of celebration. Whew, best weekend ever.

No comments: