Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Mid(end)summer night's eve...

I only have two weeks left of summer. Disambigually speaking, there's 47 days left. In the fashion world, autumn has already begun.

I'm claiming two weeks left of summer because in 13 days the MN Renaissance Festival begins and then I enter that black-hole period where the temperature waivers between sweltering and freezing with maybe two days of pleasantness, I enter my house to only take my clothes off, throw them in the washer, get myself in the shower, then bed, then up, then out the door and repeat. I successfully manage to burn myself no matter how much sunscreen I put on and I question my motives and choices every seven minutes. When it's over, it's time for the first snow fall and week 4 of football. I've done this for twelve years. I think I would have led an extremely boring life if I hadn't have done this for twelve years.

If I hadn't have done this for twelve years, my fence would be complete (including stain) and my gardens would be properly weeded. I would have gotten to that three-season padio construction I've been drawing out on notebook paper for years. I would have a clean garge and a lot more football stats committed to memory.

But since I have been doing this for twelve years, I have piles of paper filled with ideas, lists, paragraphs, stories and articles laying around everywhere; scraps of material and patterns stuffed into closets and drawers; a sword and whip just laying around in my unclean garage; another sword on my wall and three more laying on my china cabinet; the ability to articulate what makes me hurt and what will probably make others laugh and those usually aren't the same things; an appreciation for how what doing what you love doesn't mean you have to make money at it to make it important to you; the ability to pen incredibly long sentences; and most importantly, I have a host of incredible personalities in my life that makes me want to get up in the morning and keep going.

Thirteen days is plenty of time to finish a hat, oil boots and get one more kayak trip in, right?

No comments: