Monday, January 2, 2012

I'm sure this is the start of something big

2011 gave me my first Vikings game…and my last Vikings game. It’s not a reflection of my feelings towards the Vikings; rather, it is a reflection on my feelings towards Vikings fans. I don’t like being that close to people for three hours. Unless I’m offered a box seat or a front row seat between the 30 yard lines or the end zones, I’m not going to drop that much money on one plastic seat.

I have to admit though, the people-watching can be fun. At yesterday's Bears/Vikings game, there were several families that were split over loyalties. One family in front of me consisted of one boy who was a Bears fan and one little girl who was a Vikings fan. The little girl had a lavendar, purple and yellow tulle tutu on so she definitely won the fashion contest over her brother who only donned a Bears t-shirt and stocking hat.

At the beginning of the game, the mother had them stand together for a picture. Brother dutifully put his arm around his sister and they both sported very pleasant smiles. At half-time, mom had them get together for another picture and this time, positioned the brother (still with his arm around his sister) to stand up taller with his shoulders out like he had just been drafted, and positioned the sister next to him with her shoulders slumped as if she was about to start crying. Even her tutu was turned down. It was really cute. Not quite worth $300 though, so in the future I will remain in my living room (or someone's living room) and watch the game on a comfy couch and hope that a camera man picks up a cute scene like that in the future. If not, I'll go to the kitchen for a free sandwich.

Enough about 2011, let’s talk about 2012. A few things I’ve already decided to do are: one, practice more; two, read more Shakespeare (yes, again!); and three, take a real vacation. “Practice what?” you say? Everything. Practice everything. Okay, not everything. I already know how to do the dishes really well so I don’t need to practice that. I’m also really good at mowing my lawn so there’s another thing I don’t have to worry about. The piano and oboe on the other hand, those I should worry about. While I don’t own a piano (I’ve been offered but I can’t fit it in my house) I do own a keyboard which has almost a full piano keyboard. It doesn’t have all of the bass keys though so I can’t play many Elton John songs.

My mother bought me an oboe two years ago during a holiday sale. I’ve only played it a few times since then. Oddly, I’m looking forward to the pain and follow-up numbness of my embrasure for hours or weeks…whatever it takes.

Dancing is another thing I’ll have to practice because spring session classes are not in the budget. I’ve been through enough classes now where I should be able to keep the intensity level up on my own for a while.

Shamefully, I also need to practice writing. I used to be much better at it, but just like everything else, if you don’t do it enough, you are not as good at it. My performance level at this particular task will need to improve. I can see now that I’m going to need to buy more legal pads. While I am a fast typist, I’m too easily distracted when I hop on the computer. I’ll need to have my ducks in a row before I log on so that I can just type it out and then go google the latest sports news. Speaking of sports, I need to get back to this game….

No comments: