Sunday, January 2, 2011

We made it.

I'm so glad we all made it through yesterday, which was, of course, Jan. 1st, 2011.

I'm sure all of you had heard or read several times throughout the day about how the date was 1-1-11 and if that didn't creep you out enough, people would go on to point out how 2011 is the sum of all prime numbers, etc.

They're are all valid points but.....DID YOU REALIZE that 1+1+1+1 = 4 and if you add the 2 in there, which you really should since it's 2011, not 11, the sum is 6 which is the first digit in 666 (it's also the second and third). Further, the product of 6x3 is 18 and 1+8 is 9, and if you turn a 9 upside down, YOU GET 6!!!!!!

If I would have realized this yesterday, I would have been convinced that we were all going to die and then would have been a bit upset about paying $138 to get my car out of impound the night before, but it's not like I could have used the money anyways.

So now that we're moving past the official holidays as they are marked by the days you may be granted off of work, we reach that period of time where you have to decide if the holidays are truly over and if they are, you then have to take the decorations down. In my youth, the tree would come down a few days after New Years. My mother has so many decorations that when all of these things were put away, we easily gained twenty square feet of living space back.

If you are a die-hard traditionalist, you may be choosing to wait until the 12th day of Christmas to take the decorations down. I'm labeling this as "die-hard" because trying to follow the Twelve Days of Christmas is a serious chore. You would first have to decide if you are an Eastern Christian or Western Christian. If I had to choose, I'd go with Western Christian since they get to eat, dance and party down instead of fast for a gazillion days because as you know, not eating in cold weather makes you really really cranky. Once the Eastern/Western problem is solved, you'd then have to grapple with the United States question; see, if you are going to commit to being an American, then you will have to forget all about 12 days and just throw the tree out and go shopping. I am committing to being a heathen and have chosen to leave my christmas lights up because they look really pretty in my living room and whenever it snows, I want to look at the falling snow through a window framed by little white lights.

I am off to read Twelfth Night.

No comments: